Wednesday, February 1, 2012

How Expensive Is The Cleaning Lady?

I bought The Cleaning Lady a new washer and dryer this weekend.  No really.  Here's a picture of her thank you note.



I love The Cleaning Lady.  (Although I doubt she reciprocates the feeling.  If you saw my house on the day she's supposed to come, you would understand).  I love that the day The Cleaning Lady is scheduled to come, I leave my house in complete disarray, and come home to a fresh place.  Dishes are done, floors and countertops are clean, beds are made, and laundry folded.  And I didn't have to lift a finger to do it.  (Other than to write the check).

In an earlier post, I said that outsourcing your domestic duties every once in a while is worth it, but can be tricky to keep from getting expensive.  How expensive?  Brand new front-load washer and dryer set expensive!

See, The Cleaning Lady left a very lovely thank you note for the new stuff.  But you should have seen the previous notes.

"Sorry I didn't get your undies finished.  Your dryer doesn't seem to be working well."

"Wasn't able to get laundry done.  Your washer's spinner doesn't spin very well."

(I'm paraphrasing...mostly).

Please notice that I am more distressed about my faulty laundry equipment that prevents someone else from doing my laundry than I am about a stranger going through my underwear.  Yep.

If you can't tell already, I am inherently lazy and have little patience.  I'm sure that will become more apparent as this blog continues.  That being said, there are some things I hate buying:  furniture, vehicles, appliances, houses.  The thought of going through the process of haggling the purchase of these things gives me anxiety.  That's probably why I had my old washer and dryer for almost 20 years.  And quite frankly, I think they worked just fine.

Sure they had their quirks.  Occasionally you had to kick the washer to get it to spin.  You had to know the right angle to hold the dryer door to get it to latch.  And it might take an extra cycle to get things dry, but still...they worked!

But as The Cleaning Lady visits progressed, it became clear that we needed to a new washer and dryer to keep her happy.  So, I sent my husband to pick a set out.  (You caught the part earlier where I said I hate buying new appliances, right?)  I agreed with his choice, and last night it was delivered.

Man...have these things changed in the past 20 years!  The delivery guy was setting the whole thing up in the laundry room and I kept wondering why he wasn't answering his cell phone.  Turns out it was the dryer making that tinkling noise.  These things have buttons and bells and whistles and settings I've never heard of.  My old set basically had "on" and "off".

So now I have a new washer and dryer.  The Cleaning Lady says they work great.





EFWTXNV3Q7VJ



1 comment:

  1. OK...tried to leave a comment earlier but google hiccuped so it didn't work.

    Love your new blog title, and I am looking forward to reading more from you in the future. If your cleaning lady ever wants to come work south of the river, let me know! I would love to walk away and come home to a magically clean house (courtesy of the checkbook).

    ReplyDelete