Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I Will Be A Runner v2012

So back to my previous post about my Bucket List....

This year I am going to conquer something that has always been my nemesis.  Running.  I am a wanna-be athlete.  I played sports in school, but I was no star.  I am card-carrying gym rat and love spinning classes and most recently, a group strength training class I signed up for.  But put me in a pair of running shoes and I am gasping for air doing a slow trot for 3 minutes.

This has always been especially frustrating.  A few years ago I was into road cycling and could ride up to 70 miles.  (I participated in a century ride, but had to quit half-way in due to a friend's emergency).  I have never been able to figure out why I could ride a bike for hours, but got winded during a slow jog around the block.  I think it's a mental block, since I have always hated running.

But this year, I'm busting through that block.  I have the shoes, Garmin gadget thingy, appropriate running gear and a training plan (C25K on my iPhone, although my trainer friend may have other ideas).  How can this not be a plan for success?

There will be more to follow on exactly how successful this plan is.  My goal is to participate in a 5K this year and run the whole thing.  Seems simple enough, right?

Meanwhile, this picture pretty much sums it up for me...












No comments:

Post a Comment