Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Power of B

Before my daughter was born, we were blessed with many friends who gave us precious gifts. Handmade blankets, personalized onesies, a Tiffany piggy bank, adorable stuffed animals. I bought my own share of soft blankets and teddy bears, anticipating that one day one these things would be It.

You know what It is. It is the one object a child latches on to for security. More than likely we all had our own It when we were wee little ones. I had a thing for stuffed animals.

My daughter, who rejected pacifiers and thumb sucking, has finally chosen her It.





It's name is actually B. B was a gift from someone who, while being very thoughtful in giving us this soft fluffy blanket, had no idea how important this little piece of cloth would become. B is vital to bedtime rituals. B has magical healing powers. And B makes my girl smile and giggle.

Therefore B wields a lot of power.

I may be a first-time mom, but I've been around enough to know that blankies, loveys, Its and Bs take a beating. They get dirty. They get torn. They get lost. That same B that makes my girl smile and giggle will elicit blood curdling cries and epic tantrums if it is nowhere to be found. So far we've been lucky that she doesn't insist on leaving the house with it...yet. And I'm not interested in tempting fate.

So I set out to find a backup B. I struck out at Babies R Us, Target, Kohl's, and then turned to the Internet. There's no tag on it so my initial search was "pink baby blanket with bear". Do you know how many freaking pink baby blankets with bears there are? I finally found a picture that matched B exactly and got the brand name and searched for a place to get one. I found one...exactly one, on eBay.

And with a couple of clicks I purchased this one B without a second thought, possibly risking identity theft or credit card fraud. Because that is the power of B.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. GIRL.......we had a "B" too called Blankie....and I had 6 replacements. I am also happy to report at age 11, we have retired the original "6" and now have travel blankies for the USA and abroad and we NEVER leave home with out them! :0) ....so a word of advice 11 years later.....you might want to keep searching for other replacements. Also, wash them in a pillowcase so they will last longer. Which I started doing! That is words of wisdom from Ms. Bobbye Bridges @ the First Baptist Levelland Nursery! :0) Love cj

    ReplyDelete